Monday 20 February 2012

Right... Crafting... The beginning... And our beloved Audrey...


Hi again,
So… Let’s continue… And start at the beginning… So, I didn’t start crafting until a few years ago. Before that the only crafting experience I had was situated somewhere during elementary school… Anyway, since it was winter and I’d just bought some colourful wool, I decided to make a scarf, and another one after that… And then another one. Crazy thing is, none of those scarves are currently in my possession since my little sister has a knack for claiming things she likes. Each of the scarves was about a quarter of the size they were to become when along comes the little sister begging me to give them to her when they’re finished… Being a good sister (and fearing the wrath if I don’t give in) I give her not 1, but 3 scarves (I guess a girl can never have enough scarves…), leaving me with none… As to the appearance of the scarves, they’re all 3 quite different. For the first one I decided to play around with stitches and I managed to create a checkerboard effect. The second scarf was my first experience with creating cables, and I must say that they worked out beautifully. So we come to the third one, which was made in multicolour wool. For this scarf I used a stitch my mother taught me: the scarf stitch (in Dutch sjaalsteek) which made the scarf a lot thicker than a normal scarf. And I promise, if I catch one of the scarves separated from my sister and I happen to have a camera with me, pictures shall be taken and posted!!!! During the same time that I was working on the scarves, I was also working on a present for a friend of mine who is absolutely crazy about snails. So I cross stitched a snaily edge for a little guest towel (I’ve asked her for a picture, so I hope I can post it soon). Next thing I know, a friend of mine decides to move, so I have to create a house warming gift. Since she’s a real movie buff and a great lover of pink, I decided to create a poster sized cross stitch pattern of Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”. The picture below was my actual source of inspiration…
I must say it’s still not finished… But for good reason. When I was about a quarter into the ginormous job, she had already moved and so I decided to give her a sneak peak. Turns out she didn’t really like it… Result: I’m quite offended (I’d put hours of work into it) and I decide to put it at the bottom of my craft box. I will however be finishing it later for another friend who said she would love to have it hanging in her living room… So there’s still hope… AND… I have pictures, so here goes… The first 3 pictures depict the design I made (a lot of colouring work on the computer, printing and then taping everything together)…


As you can see, I used thicker lines in order to create 10 stitch boxes. I must say that was one of my more brilliant ideas. It made counting the stitches a whole lot easier. Now the following pictures will show the work the way it looks now. I’ve also included a close-up in which you can see that it really is a cross stitch poster I’m creating…



So there you go… Some pictures of a huge work in progress. When I actually find the time to finish it, I’ll keep you posted. And of course I’ll show you the final result when it’s actually there

So enjoy the rest of your day, and hopefully you’ll drop by again soon…
Love, Crazy Crafter…

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is amazing! I have never really thought of cross stitch as being particularly stylish but that has completely changed my mind and broadened my thinking!

    It will look fabulous when it's finished and be the focus of conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeany, I'll make sure to post the end result as well (though it might take a while...) I'll even throw in the pattern when I'm done, just in case you're interested in making your own little Audrey ;-)

    ReplyDelete