Friday 24 February 2012

Blankets, blankets and ... some more blankets

Hello everyone,

I know it's only been like a day since I've published something, but about 2 minutes ago reality hit me... My week off is almost over, so from next week on it's back to teaching and lesson planning and a bit less crafting and blogging... Sigh... So, I decided to post one more message this week and from the title I'm sure you can guess the subject... Right... The wonderfully magical world of blankets...

It might sound strange, but when I started to crochet again (about 2 years ago) it didn't take long for me to put aside the many amigurumi patterns I had obtained in order to take on a more daunting task: crocheting a blanket. At the time a friend of mine was expecting a baby girl and so I started the google hunt for a beautiful girly baby blanket. After a lot of searching, going back and forth and asking dear mummy's opinion for about a zillion times, I decided to go for a cute little kitty cat blanket I found on The Gingerbread Lady's blog (http://gingerschatz.blogspot.com/2010/04/kitties-in-row-afghan.html). When I first saw the pattern I was actually scared that I might not be able to do it. I mean I hadn't been crocheting that long and English isn't my mother tongue, so it was a bit of a challenge for me (lucky I like a good challenge once in a while ;-) )... Of course I decided to change some of the colours to make it more girly (yes, you've guessed it... pink!), and it didn't take long for me to love the result. Just look below to see the end result...


And even my fabulous hippopotamus wanted a picture with my first blanket...


So, as you can see, I used a lot of white and then I alternated between soft baby pink and a very hot pink. And I also finished it with a hot pink border (I thought it made the blanket a lot prettier). Now in the meanwhile I've remade this pattern into a grown-up version: one in pink (which is currently waiting to be wrapped as a birthday gift for a friend who claimed it when she first say it...) and one in purple (which was supposed to be for a friend, but due to some difficult family situations I've grown quite attached to it, so I promised to make her a new one). For a few picture of the purple version (yes, I was able to take more than one), look below... ;-)




And yes, the hippopotamus wanted a picture with this one as well...



And so we come to a different blanket I've made, though compaired to the one above, it's extremely simple. During one glorious day at the boyfriend's I told him that his place was so colourless (lots of greys and browns, but not really any bright and happy colours) so I asked him 'what if I make you a blanket you can throw on the couch?'. He seemed to like the idea, but then came the conditions to the blanket: I was not allowed to do anything fancy (no kitty cats, granny squares, waves or anything), no colours that fit my description of brights (so no pink, purple, turquoise, lime green, yellows and all those other colours that remind me of spring and summer), it had to contain red (his favourite colour, and if you think I got to choose the shade of red, guess again, I had to show him the different reds and he chose the final colour) and he had to pre-approve the pattern before I started... So many conditions... Although they kind of clouded my day, I decided to get started and eventually ended up with the following, "manly" blanket...





As you can see, it's a very simple pattern which I just made up (not that difficult this one: it's all double crochets and always the same rows: 1 red, 1 white, 2 red, 1 white, 3 red, 1 white, 2 red, 1 white, 1 red, 1 white, 2 red, 1 white, 3 red, 1 white,... As you can see, very simple). And believe it or not, he actually loves it... I'm still not too sure about it, but at least there's now a bit of colour in the living room...

Which brings us to my current work in progress... Although I'm starting another purple kitty cat blanket (at home), I've already started work on a blue wavy blanket (at the boyfriend's: I do spend most of my weekends, and therefore free time overthere). The initial idea for this blanket I found at my best friend's house (our beloved Zjizjipke: you can find a picture of her blanket on her blog, so just take a look at my blog list), so I searched the internet and found a pattern for a wavy blanket on attic 24 (http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat-ripple-pattern.html). Trust me, it's far from finished, but I can show you a picture of the progress nonetheless...



When it's actually finished, I'll let you know... I already know what's next on the crochet programme anyway, but that's something for later... So I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it... And I hope to see you again soon!!

Big hug!!!
Crazy Crafter

No comments:

Post a Comment