Sunday 14 October 2018

Vanilla cupcakes with meringue buttercream

Soooo... Time for one of my favorite classics: vanilla cupcakes. And since every cupcake needs a topping, I decided to give meringue buttercream a try... or two... You might wonder why I'm starting with something as simple as a vanilla cupcake. Well, the reason is quite simple: once you've got the hang of the basic recipe, you can create pretty much any flavour in a cupcake. Awesome, right?



I came across these recipes a few years ago in a book written by De Koekjesfee. Ever since the first time I tried it, it has never failed me. Even altered versions of the recipe (tiramisu cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, mojito cupcakes...) have always worked when I began from this basic recipe. So yes, I think it's important to start with the basics. Future cupcake recipes of mine will always start with this vanilla cupcake recipe as a basis.

So, how about we get started on those cupcakes?

Vanilla cupcakes

Ingredients:

125 grams (4.5 oz) of self-rising flour
125 grams (4.5 oz) of caster sugar
125 grams (4.5 oz) of butter (at room temperature)
2 eggs (about 100 grams or 3.5 oz)
2 table spoons of milk
1/2 table spoon of vanilla extract

Recipe:

First of all, like with all baking it is important to measure all of your ingredients. My mom really drilled that into me when I was a kid and she did all the baking. "Baking is a science," she would say, "One ingredient in the wrong amount can ruin the entire chemical make-up of what you're trying to bake." I've stuck with ingredient lists ever since ;-)




Now I like to start off with everything nicely in different bowls and all my measurement spoons in place, so I can't make any mistakes there. I know, I'm a freak, right? But mom would be so proud. :-)




The start of the recipe is quite simple. You just put all of the ingredients, except for the milk, in a bowl and start mixing. I used my usual handmixer for this, but if you prefer a Kitchenaid or the like, please feel free to use it. 




When your mixture looks something like this (doesn't take too long), you can add the milk and mix it into the batter. 




And this is the end result. Now is the time to put the cupcake liners into the cupcake baking pan. I found some red and white ones lying at the bottom of my baking drawer, so I decided I might as well use them ;-) 



Before you start filling those liners, make sure your oven is pre-heating at 170°C or 340°F (my oven pre-heats quite quickly, so I can wait up to this point to start pre-heating it). When you have done this, you can start filling the cupcake liners. I always use 2 table spoons to do the filling, but you could also use an ice cream scoop, or even a piping bag is you want to work really neatly (not really my style, to be honest). Make sure you don't fill the liners to the top. 2/3rds is enough, since the cupcakes still need to do some rising in the oven. 


When the oven has reached the right temperature, you can put the baking pan in the oven and leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes. Before you take them out of the oven, check whether they are baked though by using a tooth pick or, my mom's favourite, a knitting needle. 



Don't they look delicious when they come out of the oven? They smell it too... Just take them out of the baking pan and put them on a cool rack. They cupcakes need to be cool before you can start frosting them. Otherwise it will be one big melting party, and no one wants that.

Now, what I didn't tell you before, but you might have guessed from the picture with the ingredients, is that I actually made a double batch today. The recipe is enough for about 12 cupcakes, but I decided to show how easy it is to adapt the recipe and try something else. So.... I added some cocoa powder to make chocolate cupcakes, and some apple to make apple cupcakes. Easy, right?





I chose some differently coloured liners (orange for the chocolate ones and pink for the apple cupcakes). Don't they look pretty together? The rest of the instructions are pretty much the same: oven for 15 to 20 minutes and done!

 

Now, of course, we still need to make the frosting: Merengue buttercream. This one was completely new to me. I had never tried it before and since it involved some actual cooking, I was worried I might need more than one try. And boy, was I right. Halfway through my au bain-marie mixing, I tipped my bowl a bit too fas and water ended up in my egg white mixture... Big sigh, some cursing... And then start all over again... Second time was the charm though, so no harm done ;-)

Let's begin...

Merengue Buttercream

Ingredients:

250 grams (9 oz) of egg whites
500 grams (1 lb 2 oz) of caster sugar
750 grams (1 lb 10.5 oz) of butter, diced in small pieces
A dash of salt

Recipe:
Again, start by weighing all the ingredients. Also make sure to pay attention when you're splitting the eggs. If there's any yolk in your egg whites, it will be much more difficult or even impossible to stiffen them. 

Now, take a cooking pot and partially fill it with water. Heat the water until it starts bubbling slightly, just before boiling point. Then, put your egg whites, sugar and dash of salt in a stainless steel bowl. Put the bowl au bain-marie over the pot of bubbling water. Now be careful not to make the same mistake I did and tip the bowl. Just keep it steady and whisk the egg whites and sugar until the sugar has melted completely. 

Bubbling water


Egg white and sugar mixture au bain-marie

When the sugar has completely dissolved, take the bowl out of the pot with water and transfer the mixture into another stainless steel bowl (of your Kitchenaid, for example). Then start whisking the mixture at medium speed until the egg white mixture is completely stiffened and the bowl feels cool(er) on the outside. 


Next, you take out the whisk and insert the flat beater. Put the speed again at medium speed and start putting the butter in bit by bit. Make sure the previous piece of butter is incorporated before you add the next (I tend to count to 10 between pieces). If the mixture seems to split or water seems to lie on top, don't worry. This happens sometimes. You just need to let the mixer or Kitchenaid to its work. 


When you've added all the butter, keep beating the mixture until everything is fully incorporated. Then speed up the Kitchenaid until you get a smooth mixture. Then the merengue buttercream is done and you can start frosting... Just put the buttercream in a piping bag and start your frosting...


After the frosting, this is the result...


 

Now get baking and enjoy your cupcakes...

Ans xoxo 




1 comment: